“The Iowa Chronic Care Consortium’s Clinical Health Coach® training onsite is designed with sequential and participative learning in mind.”
Clinical Health Coach® Training Program Preparation and Time Investment
Learning new coaching and communications skills takes both time and practice, and this program addresses these needs steadily over the course of the curriculum. We begin with teaching foundational skills then build out content and focus on growing your abilities and efficacy. The program offers structured learning through both onsite and distance education, and facilitated coaching practice through telephone-based practice sessions. Participants will be expected to commit additional time for completion of program preparation assessments, buddy coaching activities through the five weeks, and meeting with leaders and team mates to complete a focused learning project. The preparation activities will require approximately 3 hours of time, and buddy coaching and project activities will require approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Week 1 – First Onsite Workshop
Stoney Creek Inn Hotel- Johnston, Iowa
Wednesday, February 26, 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 27, 7:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Friday, February 28, 7:30 a.m.- 4:15 p.m.
Workshop topics include:
- A Team Approach to Chronic Care Management in the Clinic Setting
- Emerging Models of Team-based Care in Primary Care, the Hospital and Commmunity-based Settings
- Health Coaching Skills for Self-Management Support
- Discovering the Best in You: Using the MBTI to improve your effectiveness in health coaching
- Population Health Management Strategies
- FLEX Care Healthcare Communication Strategies
- Project Implementation Support (Roundtables and Networking)
- Program Implementation/Project Management Strategies
Distance learning and health coaching skills development through teleconferencing and webinars. Teleconference calls scheduled for one hour per week. Participants will sign up for a time during week 1 onsite class. Participants will also complete buddy coaching practice and work on organizational learning projects. Please expect to spend at least three hours per week between all activities.
Week 5 – Final Onsite Workshop
Stoney Creek Inn-Johnston, Iowa
Wednesday, March 26, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 27, 7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Workshop topics include:
- Advanced Health Literacy: Getting to Evidence-Based Patient Choice
- Health Coaching for Self-Management Support
- Providing Best Care: Consensus guidelines, medication adherence, benchmarking, etc.
- Using MBTI to Build Leadership and Effective Healthcare Teams
- Project Implementation Support and Presentations
A full program schedule is provided once registration is complete.